6th Workshop on "Communicating marine mammal science to the general public" "Plastic litter and marine mammals: how communication can properly address the issue"
6th Workshop on "Communicating marine mammal science to the general public"
"Plastic litter and marine mammals: how communication can properly address the issue"
In this sixth successive workshop in the area of communication we want to continue to share educational and outreaching experiences of communicating marine mammal science to the general public. These experiences can be educational programs that support school or university curricula, pedagogical outreach materials such as books, videos, kits, activities and exhibitions. This year's workshop will address the growing problem of plastic litter (macro and micro plastic) in the marine environment representing a great threat to marine mammals and some approaches to communicate the problem and address solutions.
The workshop will be divided in two parts. In the morning session several invited speakers will shed light on the following aspects of the topic:
- general introduction of the subject including related aspects (chemical pollution in conjunction with micro and macro plastics), sources of information, educational tools and communication activities
- case study examples based on actual research in the field (sensitization campaign, citizen science)
- case studies of addressing the issue effectively, involving marine and coastal stakeholders (in particular fishermen)
The afternoon session will focus on a general discussion in the plenum and/ or working groups that will be formed at the end of the morning session. The second session will depend very much on the input of the participants in sharing their experiences as well as addressing challenges they are currently facing. A draft of a
protocol related to objectives and strategies of communication will be presented and discussed. A more detailed programme e.g. with abstracts will soon be published and send to you on request.
- Share information on the topic related to education
- Exchange and develop applicable protocols to address
- Foster general networking with all stakeholders
- Support ECS to address educational questions
- Protocol related to objectives and strategies of communication
- Recommendations to prioritise activities for the prevention or mitigation of plastic pollution in the marine environment
- Provide useful tools and instruments to address the issue
Location and Time
NH Hotel, via XX Settembre 2, 19124 La Spezia
Workshop will start 9AM and end 5 PM