The business of the ECS is coordinated by a Council of 11 members, voted by the membership.
Each year The Council oversees the organisation of an Annual Conferences in a European country. Each Council Member serves for four years, apart from the Student Representative who serves for two years. The ECS Concil positions of Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and General Manager are announced in the official journal of Belgian Societies.
Current Council Member details are provided below:
Chairperson (2020 - 2023)
TETHYS RESEARCH INSTITUTE, Viale G.B. Gadio 2, 20121 Milan, Italy
- Represents the ECS-membership at large and the ECS-council and coordinates the ECS-council
- Prepares the agendas
- Opens and closes the ECS-conferences.
- Chairs the council-meeting, council-discussions, and the annual general meeting.
- Recapitulates and synthesises ECS-council discussions and agreements and informes the ECS-membership at large if suitable.
- Updates and maintains ECS website and membership databases.
- Contact person for membership change of particulars.
- Presents membership details at the AGM
Secretary and Vice Chairperson (2018-2022)
Head of Top Predator Programme, Morris Kahn Marine Research Station, Department of Marine Biology,, Leon H. Charney School of Marine Sciences, University of Haifa.
Head of Dolphin and Sea Center, Israeli Marine Mammals Research & Assistance Center (IMMRAC)
- Records the council-meeting
- Prepares the council-meeting minutes
- Prepares the annual report and presents it at the AGM
- Distributes the annual report to the ECS-membership at large
- Operates, updates and maintains ECS mailing lists.
Treasurer (2016 - 2021)
Marine Conservation Biologist - KYMA sea conservation & research, Nelkenstrasse 7, CH-8006 Zürich, Switzerland
- Manages the ECS-finances.
- Manages the conference registrations.
- Manages the membership registrations.
- Manages ECS-publication orders in collaboration with the research-secretary of the German Oceanographic Museum, Stralsund, Germany
- Presents the financial status of the ECS at the AGM
- Manages the ECS publications.
- Presents editorial news at the AGM.
- Supports student representative and membership secretary in maintaining jiscmail lists
General Manager and Conference Adviser (2016 - 2021)
Coordinator of the Science Unit, Madeira Whale Museum, Rua Garcia Moniz, 1, 9200-031 Caniçal, Madeira -